June 19, 2014 —
At their meeting Tuesday evening, the Hudson City Council heard a report from Librarian Joanne Crater about plans to seek a .75 mill millage to help support the library.
The library, previously a city function, has been operationally severed from the city and now operates independently as the Hudson Carnegie District Library.
The library service district encompasses the Hudson Area School District boundaries that include the townships of Rollin, Wheatland, Hudson Dover, Medina and the City of Hudson.
After considerable discussion over the past several months it was decided to seek a .75 mill millage to help support the library. This will allow, with the inclusion of other dedicated funds, the library have a budget of about $125,000 annually. Through all economic times, this millage will guarantee that the Hudson-Carnegie District Library will have sufficient funds to serve all its patrons.
The library has been operating on a very tight budget for the last several years, and approval of the millage will allow for much-needed improvements.
The measure will be on the August 5 ballot. If you have any questions, please contact the library at 517-448-3801.
At Tuesday’s meeting, the council also:
• Heard a presentation by Bob Kellogg of the Lenawee Economic Crimes Unit about their program to control bad checks. Kellogg previously operated a similar program in Eaton County, where it was a big success.
• Approved the purchase of a new Ford Police Car for the city. Rather than a sedan as in the past, the new vehicle will be a 4×4 SUV.
• Reappointed Patricia Wollett to the Election Commission, and named Barbara Miller to a post on the commission.
• Named Jeaniene McClellan to be the new city clerk. She had been the deputy clerk since 2011.
• Fire Chief Jerry Tanner Jr. told the council about the city’s “Fire Jeep” being taken to Michigan International Speedway for the race last weekend. The vehicle, unique in Michigan, is specially fitted out for fighting fires off roads, and it received much favorable comment.