Council hears sewer report

May 22, 2014 —

Storm sewer water leaking into the sewer system has been a problem for at least a quarter century in Hudson, if not longer. It costs money to run water through the Waste Water Treatment Plant, and too much unwanted water can flood the system and send the plant out of compliance.

For the last several months the city, along with engineers Flies and Vandenbrink, have been studying the problem with flow meters placed at various strategic locations around the city.

At Tuesday night’s council meeting, engineer Eric Griffith told the council that a few conclusions have been reached, and they are somewhat surprising.

For several years educated speculation has placed the problem roughly west of downtown. Flow studies indicated that the problem isn’t there at all: at least sixty percent of the problem seems to be located along or near Bean Creek, and/or east of Mechanic Street around South Main Street and Webster Park.

Flow studies also showed that Bean Creek is closely involved with excess infiltration into the sewer system. When Bean Creek gets above three and a half feet at the Waste Water Treatment Plant measuring point, sewer flows increase dramatically. A cross connection in this area has long been suspected, but in spite of rebuilding a lot of sewer system in the area over the years, it’s clear that the problem still exists.

The next step is to continue the flow monitoring, but much more tightly focused on the suspected problem area. The city still has some unexpended state funds for the study.

In other business at Tuesday’s meeting, the council:
• Approved the 2014-15 city budget, including interfund and intrafund loan transfers. The operational millage remains at 10.6419 mills, along with an additonal mill for the Advanced Life Support ambulance.
• Authorized the purchase of a spare pump for the Jackson Street lift station.
• Approved a fundraising event for the Hudson Area Ambulance, a golf match in August.
• Approved a 20-year service resolution and award to DPW worker Ed Bellfy.